Pallekele cricket stadium is located in city of Sri Lanka, Kandy. The stadium is also known as Kandy Cricket stadium or Muttiah Muralitharan International Cricket Stadium. The stadium was inaugurated on 27 November 2009. Soon, in July 2010, Stadium authorities decided to rename the stadium on the name of legendary Sri Lankan cricketer, Muttiah Muralitharan. However it is still not renamed officially. First test match was played between Sri Lanka and West Indies during 1-5 December 2010. The first ODI was hosted on 8 March 2011, between Pakistan and New Zealand. In August, Same year, first T20 was played between Sri Lanka and Australia. The seating capacity of the stadium is 35,000.
Pallekele Cricket Stadium History
Pallekele cricket stadium was built keeping in mind 2011 cricket world cup. It was completed and opened in time by authorities along with Hambantota International Cricket Stadium. This stadium hosted 9 matches of 2012 ICC World Twenty20 event. Sri Lanka national cricket team, Inter-Provincial Twenty20 and Inter-Provincial Limited Over Tournament are the tenants of this Kandy cricket ground.
Pallekele Cricket Stadium Ticket Booking Procedure
Pallekele cricket stadium tickets are generally available for sale few days before match day. It is advisable to buy tickets from stadium ticket counter or from official websites only. The match tickets are available between various teams on official website of Sri Lankan cricket board and bookmyshow. India Tour of Sri Lanka 2017 tickets were also available online. The price range varies from LKR 200 to LKR 3500. Tickets were also available for India Vs Sri Lanka ODI and T20 matches. The tickets are generally available offline too, and they might be bought from Kandy cricket stadium ticket counter. Home delivery doesn’t seem to be provided by online modes and online ticket receipt will be sent on email Id.
How to Book Pallekele Stadium Ticket @Bookmyshow
There are few steps for booking tickets of Pallekele Stadium, Kandy. Same procedure is followed for booking tickets of test matches, ODI matches and Twenty-Twenty matches. They are available during any time of the day.
- First, login to bookmyshow website for checking and booking tickets.
- Select the match and click on it to proceed, you will be taken to stadium layout page.
- Find the price details for different stands and select one by clicking on it.
- Select the number of tickets and click to proceed.
- The tickets pickup location would be shown along with complete address.
- Click proceed and complete the payment, the booked ticket will be sent as an e-receipt by email. Show the receipt at counter to receive actual tickets.
- While collecting the actual tickets from box office, carry the card used for booking online tickets.
- Ticket price for India Vs Sri Lanka Test matches is LKR 200 to LKR 3500.
- Ticket price of India Vs Sri Lanka ODI matches is LKR 300 to LKR 5000.
- Box Office pickup location is Gate no 1, Pallekele International Cricket Stadium, Kandy.
- The Timing for picking up tickets is 9 am to 5 pm for Non-match day & Match day.
Pallekele International Cricket Stadium Seating Plan
The stadium seating arrangement is very good, as ground view is very clear from almost all seats. There are various stands such as East Grass Embankment, West Grass Embankment, Commentators stand, Digital and Print Media Stand, Top Level A, Top Level B, A Lower and B Lower stand. These stands have different seat ticket price for different matches. Seating layout of Pallekele Cricket Stadium is shown by the image, to provide some more clarity.
General Guidelines and Information
The stadium is located at a distance of 15 Km from Kandy railway station. It is half an hour drive from the railway station, east of Kandy. The basic facilities such as drinking water and toilets are also present in stadium campus. The stadium has parking facility as well as food counters. It has some variety of foods, not much though. Tourists and local residents can opt for public transport, such as tuk tuk or taxis etc. It is advisable to reach there half an hour or one hour before match start time, to avoid last minute rush and traffic. Restrain yourself from taking unnecessary items to stadium, as some items are restricted. There are some guidelines which must be followed by all the spectators while they are in ground.
Pallekele cricket ground is a lovely cricket ground, with good seating arrangement and various facilities. It has hosted some of the high voltage matches in the past and it is yet to host many such matches in the future. With all the facilities in place, it is a good place to visit on a match day.