Welford Road Stadium is a rugby union stadium located in Leicester, England. It is the home ground of Leicester Tigers, one of the most successful rugby union clubs in the country. The stadium has a capacity of approximately 25,849 spectators and is located in the Aylestone Road area of the city. The stadium has a long and storied history, having been opened in 1892. It has undergone many renovations and improvements over the years, including the addition of a new stand in 2009 which increased the seating capacity significantly. The stadium also boasts excellent facilities for players, including a state-of-the-art gym and training facilities.
Welford Road has played host to many high-profile rugby matches, including international fixtures and club matches in domestic and European competitions. It has also been used for other events such as concerts and conferences. The Welford Road is a historic and iconic venue for rugby fans, and is considered one of the premier rugby stadiums in the United Kingdom.
Welford Road Stadium History
Welford Road Stadium is a rugby union stadium located in Leicester, England. It has been the home of Leicester Tigers, one of the most successful rugby union clubs in Europe, since 1892. The stadium was originally a cricket ground, known as Welford Road Cricket Ground, which was owned by the city’s cricket club. In the late 19th century, the club started hosting rugby union matches on the pitch during the cricket off-season. In 1892, Leicester Football Club, which later became Leicester Tigers, was formed and made Welford Road its permanent home.
The stadium has been expanded and renovated several times throughout its history. In 1895, a stand was built on the north side of the ground, and in 1899 a stand was built on the south side. The east and west stands were added in the 1920s, and the famous Crumbie Stand, named after a former club president, was built in 1925. In the 1990s, the stadium was redeveloped to meet modern safety standards and to increase capacity. The East Stand was completely rebuilt in 1995, and a new North Stand was added in 1998, increasing the capacity of the stadium to over 16,000. Further redevelopment work was carried out in the 2000s, including the addition of executive boxes and hospitality suites.
Welford Road has hosted many important rugby matches over the years, including several England internationals, and has been a regular venue for cup finals and playoff matches. In addition to rugby, the stadium has also hosted concerts and other events, including a performance by the Rolling Stones in 2006. Today, Welford Road remains one of the most iconic and historic rugby stadiums in the world, with a capacity of over 25,000 and a rich history of rugby union
Welford Road Stadium Seating Plan Leicester 2023
Welford Road Stadium has a seating capacity of approximately 25,849, and the Welford Road Stadium Seating chart is divided into several different sections:
- The Holland & Barrett Stand (formerly the Caterpillar Stand) – is located on the eastern side of the stadium, this stand has three levels and can hold up to 7,500 spectators. The lower tier is for standing, while the upper two tiers are seating sections.
- The Robin Hood Stand (formerly the North Stand) – located on the northern side of the stadium, this stand has two levels and can hold up to 4,000 spectators. The lower tier is for standing, while the upper tier is a seating section.
- The MET-RX Stand (formerly the Goldsmiths Stand) – is located on the western side of the stadium, this stand has two levels and can hold up to 5,500 spectators. The lower tier is for standing, while the upper tier is a seating section.
- The Mattioli Woods Stand (formerly the Crumbie Stand) – is located on the southern side of the stadium, this stand has two levels and can hold up to 6,000 spectators. The lower tier is for standing, while the upper tier is a seating section.
In addition to these main stands, there is also a small terrace section located behind the eastern goalposts, called the Breedon Terrace. The stadium also has several hospitality and executive box sections, including the Clubhouse Hospitality, The View Restaurant, and the Executive Boxes, which offer premium seating and hospitality options. The seating plan may vary depending on the specific event being held at Welford Road Stadium.
Welford Stadium Leicester Ticket Price
The ticket prices for events at Welford Road Stadium vary depending on the specific match or event, the seat location, and the level of competition. For Leicester Tigers rugby matches, ticket prices typically range from around £20 for a standing room in the Breedon Terrace to around £60 for premium seating in the Holland & Barrett Stand.
There may be discounts available for children, students, and seniors, as well as for season ticket holders and members of Leicester Tigers Rugby Club. Hospitality packages, which include premium seating and additional amenities, are also available at higher prices.
We can provide you with an approximate range of ticket prices based on past matches and events:
- Standing room in the Breedon Terrace: £20 – £25
- Seating in the Robin Hood Stand: £25 – £35
- Seating in the MET-RX Stand: £30 – £40
- Seating in the Mattioli Woods Stand: £35 – £45
- Premium seating in the Holland & Barrett Stand: £50 – £60
Prices may vary depending on the level of competition, the popularity of the match or event, and the seat location. It is recommended to check the official Leicester Tigers website or ticketing partner for current pricing and availability.
Welford Road Stadium Ticket Booking Steps
Here are the general steps to book tickets for events at Welford Road Stadium:
- Visit the official Leicester Tigers website or ticketing partner to view the schedule of upcoming events and matches at Welford Road Stadium.
- Select the match or event you would like to attend and click on the “Buy Tickets” or “Book Now” button.
- Choose your preferred seating section and select the number of tickets you would like to purchase. Note that some sections may have limited availability or require membership or season tickets.
- Review the seating plan and ticket prices, and select your preferred seat(s).
- Enter your personal information, including your name, contact details, and any special requirements or requests.
- Choose your preferred delivery method for your tickets, which may include email, mobile ticket, or physical ticket delivery.
- Review your order details and total cost, and enter your payment information to complete the transaction.
- After completing your purchase, you will receive a confirmation email with your ticket details and instructions on how to access the stadium on the day of the event.
It is recommended to book tickets in advance, especially for high-demand matches or events, as they may sell out quickly. It is also important to check the official website or ticketing partner for any updates or changes to the event schedule or ticket availability.
Welford Road Stadium Parking Options
There are several parking options available for visitors to Welford Road Stadium:
- Welford Road car park – located on Aylestone Road, this is the primary parking area for the stadium. It is operated by the Leicester Tigers and offers over 400 spaces on a first-come, first-served basis. Parking costs £5 per vehicle for Leicester Tigers matches, and may vary for other events.
- Leicester Tigers Rugby Club – located on Aylestone Road, the rugby club offers a limited number of parking spaces for members and season ticket holders on match days.
- NCP car park – located on Welford Road, the NCP car park is a short walk from the stadium and offers around 400 spaces. Parking costs vary depending on the length of stay.
- City center car parks – there are several city center car parks within walking distance of Welford Road Stadium, including the Highcross and John Lewis car parks.
It is important to note that parking spaces can be limited and may fill up quickly on match days. It is recommended to arrive early or consider alternative transportation options, such as public transit or taxi services. Some streets around the stadium may also have restricted parking or require permits, so it is important to check for signage and restrictions before parking.
How to Reach Welford Road Stadium
Welford Road Stadium is located in Leicester, England, and is easily accessible by various modes of transportation. Here are some ways to reach the stadium:
- By car – Welford Road Stadium is located on Aylestone Road, which is accessible via the A426 or Aylestone Road from the M1 motorway. The stadium is approximately 2 miles from the city center and there are several car parks available for visitors (see the previous answer for more details).
- By train – Leicester railway station is the nearest train station to Welford Road Stadium and is approximately 1.5 miles away. From the station, visitors can take a taxi or bus to the stadium. There are also direct train services to Leicester from London, Birmingham, Nottingham, Sheffield, and other major cities.
- By bus – There are several bus routes that serve Welford Road Stadium, including the Arriva bus numbers 47, 48, 48A, and 49, and the First Leicester bus numbers 22 and 88. Buses stop near the stadium on Aylestone Road and Tigers Way.
- By bicycle – There are several bicycle racks available near Welford Road Stadium for visitors who prefer to cycle. Leicester also has several cycle routes and paths throughout the city.
It is recommended to plan ahead and check the official Leicester Tigers website or local transit providers for up-to-date schedules and information.
Welford Road Stadium Facilities
Welford Road Stadium offers a range of facilities to ensure a comfortable and enjoyable experience for visitors. Here are some of the main facilities available at the stadium:
- Seating and hospitality – Welford Road Stadium has a capacity of over 25,000 and offers a variety of seating options, including premium seating and hospitality packages. There are four main stands: the Mattioli Woods Stand, the Holland & Barrett Stand, the Robin Hood Stand, and the MET-RX Stand.
- Food and drink – The stadium has several food and drink outlets, including the Clubhouse Bar, the Final Whistle Bar, and the Crumbie Lounge. There are also several food kiosks located throughout the stadium, offering a range of snacks, beverages, and hot food.
- Retail – The Tigers Store is located at the stadium and offers a range of official Leicester Tigers merchandise, including clothing, accessories, and souvenirs.
- Accessibility – Welford Road Stadium offers accessible seating and facilities for visitors with disabilities or mobility issues, including wheelchair spaces and accessible toilets. There are also designated drop-off and pick-up points for disabled visitors.
- Wi-Fi – The stadium offers free Wi-Fi access for visitors.
- Parking – Welford Road Stadium has its own car park, offering over 400 spaces on a first-come, first-served basis. There are also several other parking options available nearby (see the previous answers for more details).
- First aid – There is a first aid station located at the stadium, staffed by qualified medical personnel.
These are just some of the main facilities available at Welford Road Stadium. It is recommended to check the official Leicester Tigers website for more information and any updates or changes to facilities or services.